Friday, April 4, 2008

Quilts are Beautiful!

This photo was taken the day we brought Matt home from the hospital---14 and a half years ago. I love the way Kyle is looking at his little brother; it's as if he's saying, "I have a best friend for life!" They are so good for each other.

The quilt that they are on (folded in half) was made by my mom. It was supposed to be for our couch, but Kyle quickly adopted it as his own. It was his source of comfort, especially on trips. The material belonged to my grandma....very old material. Because of this, it couldn't handle the constant usage that Kyle gave to it (uh, the image below).

My mom is quite fine with what happened to the quilt; she's happy that he was able to enjoy it. He retired it about a year ago when I bought one from the store. My mom is currently working on another one for him (with newer materials). It has pieces that both she and I had cut out.

I love quilts! I have made 3 baby quilts, but it's been a while. I've started some, but they get pushed aside, and I don't get back to them. I recently cut out all the squares to make one for Chelsey, but during a trip to the store a few days ago, I learned that they weren't the "right" colors. She didn't know that I was planning this quilt (I spilled the beans at the store), and when we were looking at material, she was telling me how much she loved the colors pink and grey together (that's not even close to the dark blue and light blue colors I had chosen). The quilt is going to spell out her name, actually, half her name---Chel. Quilting is very relaxing for me (I do it all be hand), but I rarely make time for it. I'll post pictures of my progress (putting that in black and white should help to keep me going on it ;)

3 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

Wow! That quilt has had a lot of love.

And, my boys are best friends, too. They are so good for each other.

Chelsey said...

aaaaww...mommy, they are not "the wrong colors"...i know that whatever you choose is made by you from love...you do what you want..don't listen to me;)

and this isn't really black & white..ur font is kinda red;)

Faerylandmom said...

Hi. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog - yours is (I believe) the first. :-) I love the picture of that very well-loved quilt! What a treasure...I'd have a hard time getting rid of it, I think!