Sunday, September 13, 2009

Playground Update

Since we've been back in school, my desire to be on the computer has dwindled significantly. There are a few things I want to blog about, but I'll stick to just one topic tonight...maybe get the others in sometime this week...?
About a month ago, I had this post about the "battle" to get Evan to play on the playground.
....there's been a complete turn-around!
It happened last week when we went for our usual long walk, ending at the playground. Only this time, he pointed towards the playground equipment, I asked him if he wanted to play, and he gave me a "es." As we got closer, he was tyring to climb out of the seat belt of the stroller!
Of course, this was maybe the second time this summer where we've gone for a walk, and not only was he not wearing his sandals, I didn't have them in the stroller either. I just really didn't anticipate needing them.
He got out and immediately started playing...not just sitting on his favorite platform but going throughout different pieces of equipment, following kids, and laughing. It was great!
Why the change? My guess...preschool. For three years now it has bothered me greatly that he hasn't had much exposure to other kids---I strongly believe that is the greatest therapy of all.
We went back to the playground today, and again, he couldn't wait to get out of the stroller. He (we) even went down a really big curly slide...again, and again, and again, etc. He had never ventured that far before.
Yea!

3 comments:

fragilemom said...

I totally agree with the greatest therapy is being around other kids! Sometimes I just gotta be more aware of what kids he's around. I want him to learn the 'good' things, not the bad. He's so vulnerable. Thank goodness he hasn't come home from school with any extra bad habits or words! :)

Great job!

Anonymous said...

omg that is great!!

Chelsey said...

Well they do go to the playground at the end of every school day. I didn't even think about that. The ladies always told me that he loves that part.