Friday, April 3, 2009

...now I know my ABC's...

Evan's vocabulary, of course, doesn't follow the standard pattern. He has said words once, maybe even for a week, and then we don't hear them anymore. There have been some words that have "stuck." One word (phrase) that has lasted the longest is "Wazsat" (what's that?)--at least a year. Kind of an odd choice due to the fact that he doesn't even say mommy or daddy. The latest word that seems to be sticking is "peaz" (please). It's cute when he says it because I had tried to teach him the sign in the beginning, and he quickly adapted his own version of it by just bringing both hands to his stomach while saying "peaz." And, he does it with such a sweet look on his face! Yeah, it works almost every time...it's usually good for for something to drink or a cracker.
Now a bit of an obsession of his--letters. He verbalizes several letters of the alphabet: A B C D E G I O P Z are clear, and for L M S, it's more like the sound of the letter. He used to watch Super Why on a regular basis; now he can't handle the stimulation and will get upset. But he still loves his Leap Frog fridge magnets and his books. Recently during a short stay in a waiting room, I didn't have anything for him, and he wasn't too happy, so I grabbed a magazine. He was content to go through this magazine with me as he took my finger to make it point at various letters as I would say them. His newest toy is a VTech alphabet toy...a favorite. And starfall.com? I don't know how long he would go on that because I'm the one who has to say "all done." He's fascinated by it. He points to the letter he wants me to click on, and then I do all the clicking....he adores it. This is where he really demonstrates his ability to recognize letters. When he points to the screen to show me which letter he wants next, he usually will say the letter. Crazy kid!


2 comments:

fragilemom said...

Just keep up the good work you do with him. It's wonderful when things start to click and stay. I love watching Benjamin do his signs as well. I think he does the same for 'please' as yours does. His favorite, is 'bath'. Have you tried Word World? That may be a bit much if Super Why is for him. Ours love World World.

Jen said...

I've never even heard of Word World! Is it on TV or DVD's? His new "favorite" show is Blue's Clues.
It is getting exciting to see his speech starting to emerge. I don't even know the sign for bath; I'll have to look that one up.