Sunday, April 17, 2011

Maybe I'm Over-Thinking It

I tend to like to think things through, probably to an extreme extent in some cases.  But some things do deserve that thought time, such as Evan's transition to kindergarten next year.
Yes, my little boy is going to kindergarten.  I know, it's the cry of most parents, but I still have to say it, How did he get so old so fast!?
We had the conference last week, and I thought I knew what I wanted heading in.  We have two elementary schools in town; I work at one of them, and he goes to preschool at the other.  The one I work at is the one that he should attend for kindergarten based on where we live.  But, the other school has more special ed. options.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I visited the classroom at the other school that I was fairly certain was the one for Evan.  I observed for about an hour, and my eyes watered up as I sat there thinking, yep, this is the right place for my son.  Low number of students, mainstreaming, swing in classroom, sweet sweet teacher, etc.  Yep, the right place.
Day of conference, I'm sitting around a table with the people I work with now and people I've worked with in the past.  I'm really not sure if that is better or worse;  I'm thinking it's just different.
Lots of positive things said about Evan's recent progress which we're seeing at home as well...good stuff.   
 So in a nutshell, there were 3 choices presented.  The most restricted class was eliminated from the get-go; we all agreed that wouldn't be the appropriate place (although I LOVE that teacher!!!).  So it was a choice of the classroom I visited at the other school and the developmental kindergarten class at our school.  And there seemed to be some leaning towards the latter.
Whoa. 
 I hadn't given that second option much consideration before the conference.  Hmm.  Maybe not such a bad idea.  When it was talked about, I  started to believe that maybe it could work...an aide, small group, a great male teacher.  Then the mother in me started thinking about, well, maybe it will work this year, but what about next?  And maybe there won't be enough support.  And maybe it's not such a good idea for him to be in the same building as me.  And and and.
So, as of today, I haven't signed yet, but I'm 99% sure that's the direction we're heading.  Yeah, 99.1% sure.
What's holding me back?  Among other things, I think the biggy is my desire to protect him...have him in an environment where he is a little more sheltered.  Have him somewhere where I don't see everything. 
Ugh ugh ugh.  
Yes, 99.2% sure.

2 comments:

fragilemom said...

Amazing how things always seem to get a new twist AFTER we've made our decisions. We have our ARD tomorrow and I AM DREADING IT! First one I've ever felt that way about.

Jen said...

I'm still just not sure. I love the idea in him be in what is basically, a gen-ed kindergarten class. I still have concern about there being enough support to make it work.
Hope your ARD goes well!